Our History



In a small village known as Goodshawfold situated in Rossendale, the villagers would gather on the bridge which spans the river Limey. Here on fine summer evenings they would play draughts, sitting astride the bridge sides having cut the squares into the top stones some of which are visible today.
In the July of 1867, their interest had been roused by the visit of the Padiham Original band. Several of the Padiham band had stayed overnight in Goodshawfold and the following morning met in the centre of the village to play marches and hymn tunes. The villagers having been inspired to form their own band, borrowed money to purchase instruments. The band was finally founded in September 1867 under their first bandmaster Mr David Heap. In 1869 they entered their first contest in Colne and were awarded fourth prize.


Goodshaw Band has since been a successful contesting band and probably their most outstanding achievement was winning outright, the Workington Cup in three successive years 1906-07-08 under the direction or Musical Director William Halliwell. The Band were able to retain the trophy through this hat trick.
The beautiful and very large superb solid silver trophy can still be viewed at the Whitaker Park Museum, Haslingden Road, Rawtenstall, Rossendale.


Around the turn of the century Mr William Pollard was probably the most respected player in the band, having been the principal cornet for many years. As a soloist, he won specially engraved cornets, medals and trophies including one from a solo championship at the Crystal Palace, London. He was very much in demand as a soloist, and also played with Besses o'th Barn, Irwell Springs and Wingates Temperance.



Today the band thrives in a very competitive field, competing in the fourth section of the Northwest Area. The band is lucky to have its own private rehearsal room and is very fortunate and appreciative of the sponsorship from BMP Europe Ltd, which has helped to finance the bands instruments and uniform.



© Copyright: BMP Goodshaw 2019|All rights>

reserved